Tender London Broil
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1/4 teaspoon unseasoned meat tenderizer*
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® herb seasoning blend
- Tenderize meat by piercing well with a fork (on both sides), or pound with a tenderizing mallet.
- Place steak in large shallow dish and carefully sprinkle with a minimal amount of meat tenderizer.
- Combine remaining ingredients and spread over both sides of steak.
- Marinate 1 to 4 hours.
- Grill or broil for 3 to 5 minutes per side or to desired doneness. Remove from heat and let steak rest about 10 to 15 minutes
- Cut steak into thin slices at a slant against the grain.
- Most chemical meat tenderizers contain papain, an enzyme derived from papaya that helps breakdown the tough fibers in the meat. One well known brand of tenderizer is Adolph’s®. *Measure and limit the amount used because of the high-sodium content. Adolph’s original tenderizer contains 380 mg of sodium per 1/4 teaspoon; Adolph’s seasoned tenderizer contains 450 mg of sodium per 1/4 teaspoon. Reduce amount used if a smaller steak is prepared.
- You can use top round steak if flank is not available.
- Leftover portions can be used to top a salad, or wrapped into tortillas for an interesting wrap or fajita.
- If you are on a protein-restricted diet, adjust portion to your meal plan or consult your renal dietitian.
Submitted by: Recipe from a heart-healthy recipe used at St. Luke’s Hospital in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and modified for the renal diet by DaVita dietitian Jean from Iowa.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 24 g
Carbohydrates 3 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 43 mg
Sodium 208 mg
Potassium 293 mg
Phosphorus 177 mg
Calcium 16 mg
Fiber 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register