- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 six-inch piece fresh ginger, finely diced
- 2 cups water
- ice cubes
- 4 cups sparkling apple cider
- 6 cinnamon sticks, cut in half
- 12 pieces crystallized ginger
- To prepare ginger syrup, place sugar*, grater ginger and water in a medium saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour until ginger flavor is strong. Strain mixture and refrigerate to chill.
- To prepare Ginger-Apple Sparkler, place one tablespoon ginger syrup in each glass (use short tumblers).
- Fill with ice cubes, pour in 1/2-cup cider and stir to combine.
- Garnish with cinnamon stick and crystallized ginger.
- Syrup may be stored in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
- Ginger is often used to help treat nausea and motion sickness.
- *For those with diabetes, omit the sugar in ginger syrup. Instead, make concentrated ginger-flavored water. Sweeten to taste with sugar substitute. Nutrients decrease to 61 calories, 15 grams carbohydrate.
Submitted by: Recipe modified from a Martha Stewart creation and submitted by DaVita dietitian Karen from Illinois.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 0 g
Carbohydrates 47 g
Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 25 mg
Potassium 110 mg
Phosphorus 7 mg
Calcium 7 mg
Fiber 0.3 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 1 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register