Homemade Almond Milk
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- Heart Healthy
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 3 cups filtered water, plus water for soaking
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place raw almonds in a jar and cover with filtered water. Cover jar and soak at room temperature for 6 hours, or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Drain the almonds and place in a blender.
- Add 3 cups of fresh filtered water to the blender
- Blend on a low setting, gradually moving to high setting. Blend for 2 minutes, until liquid turns white and almonds are finely chopped.
- Place a cheesecloth or nut bag over a bowl. Pour the liquid through in batches to strain liquid from almond meal. Squeeze the cheesecloth or nut bag to remove the liquid. Discard the almond meal.
- Add vanilla extract and other flavorings as desired.
- Pour almond milk into a jar, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Shake before serving.
- Suggested flavorings include maple syrup or honey, ground cinnamon, sugar, stevia, Splenda or other desired sweetener.
- Adjust water for thicker or thinner beverage.
- The almond meal is discarded because it contains the majority of phosphorus and some potassium from the nuts. Generally nut milks are much lower in potassium and phosphorus compared to a serving of nuts.
- Commercially prepared almond milk contains added salt, calcium, thickeners and emulsifiers. Some brands also contain phosphate additives. Homemade almond milk is salt-free and has no additives.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Sara from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 1 g
Carbohydrates 2 g
Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 6 mg
Potassium 180 mg
Phosphorus 40 mg
Calcium 30 mg
Fiber 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 milk alternative
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
12 muffins SERVINGS
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register