- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- Heart Healthy
- 2 cups rye flour
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- In a stand mixer, combine flour, salt, yeast and caraway seeds.
- Make a well in the center of flour mixture and add warm water.
- Mix until dough becomes wet and sticky.
- Cover with plastic wrap and sit in warm, dry place for 3 hours.
- Heat the oven to 450° F. Place an enamel Dutch oven with the lid on in the oven. Allow to heat for 30 minutes.
- While the Dutch oven is heating, scrape the dough out of the bowl and place onto a floured board or counter top.
- Flour your hands and fold the dough over a few times; making a ball with the dough. Make the seam at the bottom of the dough.
- Carefully remove Dutch oven from the oven and place dough inside. Replace the lid and return to oven. Cook for 30 minutes or until internal temperature of the bread reaches 200° F.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Cut cooled bread into 16 pieces.
- For a crustier crust, can cook for an additional 10 minutes with cover of Dutch oven removed.
- This recipe works best in a Dutch oven. Loaf pan not recommended.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 19 g
Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 121 mg
Potassium 66 mg
Phosphorus 44 mg
Calcium 7 mg
Fiber 2 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Tara from Michigan
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
12 muffins SERVINGS
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register