- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- Heart Healthy
- 2 cups masa (corn flour)
- 9 ounces water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Mix masa, water and salt in a bowl.
- Turn mixture onto a board and knead until a soft dough forms, adding more water as needed.
- Divide dough into 16 pieces, each about 1/2-inch wide and 1/2-inch thick. Place each piece of dough between two pieces of plastic to prevent sticking, and then flatten into a 5-inch diameter tortilla using a rolling pin or a tortilla press.
- Lightly oil a very hot griddle and place one tortilla on it. Cook for about 30 seconds, then turn the tortilla and cook for another 30 seconds before removing from griddle. (It should be soft and easy to fold.) Repeat for each remaining tortilla.
- Use a spatula to pick up the tortilla so you don’t get burned.
- Masa is corn flour made from ground hominy. It is used to make tortillas and tamales.
- Prepare enchiladas, tacos and quesadillas, or eat 1 to 2 tortillas with a meal.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 1 g
Carbohydrates 11 g
Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 74 mg
Potassium 38 mg
Phosphorus 33 mg
Calcium 20 mg
Fiber 0.9 mg
Added Sugar 0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
Submitted by: Recipe submitted by DaVita dietitian Maria from Arizona.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register