- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose white flour, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- Preheat oven to 475° F.
- Stir baking soda into buttermilk.
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Sprinkle buttermilk over flour mixture and stir until dry ingredients are moistened and dough is formed.
- Knead dough on a floured surface 6 times. Roll dough out to 1/2” thickness. Using a 2” biscuit cutter, cut out 12 biscuits.
- Bake on a greased baking sheet for 10 to 12 minutes, until browned.
- Biscuits leavened with baking soda and buttermilk are lower in phosphorus compared to baking powder biscuits.
- One biscuit served with 1/3-cup Country Gravy provides 198 mg sodium and 98 mg phosphorus. Be aware that portion size can make a difference in how much sodium and phosphorus are consumed.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 15 g
Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 1 mg
Sodium 158 mg
Potassium 41 mg
Phosphorus 30 mg
Calcium 21 mg
Fiber 0.4 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 fat
Submitted by: DaVita dietitians in North Carolina.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register