Jackie’s Corn Bread Muffins
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- Heart Healthy
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 cup plain cornmeal, white or yellow
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1 cup unenriched rice milk
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder.
- In another bowl, combine egg substitute, rice milk and melted butter.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
- By using egg substitute instead of egg and rice milk instead of milk, phosphorus is reduced from 130 mg to 100 mg. The baking powder contributes 76 mg phosphorus to each muffin. Limit portion to one muffin.
- Do not substitute self-rising corn meal — it’s higher in phosphorus.
- Freeze leftover muffins and reheat for a quick meal addition later.
- To make skillet-baked cornbread instead of muffins use a medium-size iron skillet and decrease sugar to 2 tablespoons.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Jackie from North Carolina.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 23 g
Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 5 mg
Sodium 85 mg
Potassium 40 mg
Phosphorus 100 mg
Calcium 64 mg
Fiber 1.0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 starch
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register