- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 3 cups all-purpose white flour
- 3/4 cups sugar or Splenda granular sweetener
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 cup grated zucchini
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs slightly. Stir in zucchini, honey, oil, applesauce, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Stir liquid mixture into flour mixture just until flour is moistened.
- Grease muffin tins or use paper liners. Fill each cup 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Boost protein content to 3 grams by adding 7 tablespoons of your favorite protein powder to dry ingredients.
- If Splenda is used instead of sugar carbohydrate is decreased to 18 grams and 1 carbohydrate choice.
- Top muffins with cream cheese frosting and serve for dessert if higher calories are desired.
- If desired use 2/3 cup applesauce and omit the oil or use 2/3 cup oil and omit the applesauce.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 23 g
Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 29 mg
Sodium 132 mg
Potassium 58 mg
Phosphorus 32 mg
Calcium 9 mg
Fiber 0.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1/2 high calorie
- 1/2 fat
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Eileen from California.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register