Apple Fritter Rings
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 4 large, tart cooking apples
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar (divided use)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- oil for deep fat frying, about 3/4 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Peel and core apples. Cut each apple into 5 rings, approximately 1/2" thick each.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl combine egg, milk, almond milk and 1 teaspoon oil.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and stir until just blended.
- In a skillet that is at least 2" deep, heat 1" of cooking oil to 375º F.
- Dip apple slices in batter one at a time. Fry in hot oil about 1-1/2 minutes until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar with cinnamon and sprinkle on fritters. Serve hot.
- Donut shop apple fritters contain approximately 300 mg sodium compared to 33 mg per fritter in this recipe.
- Splenda® granular sugar substitute can be used instead of sugar, if desired.
Submitted by: the DaVita Dietitian Team.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 1 g
Carbohydrates 15 g
Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium 33 mg
Potassium 67 mg
Phosphorus 26 mg
Calcium 30 mg
Fiber 1.3 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 starch
- 1/2 fruit
- 2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register