1 slice of toast
- CKD non-dialysis
- 4 slices Italian bread. sliced 1/2” thick
- 4 cups rice milk, non-enriched
- 2 cups liquid low cholesterol egg substitute
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- powdered sugar or non-calorie sweetener, optional
- Coat bottom and sides of a 9” x 13” baking pan with margarine or nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange slices of bread in a layer on bottom of pan.
- Beat non-enriched rice milk, egg substitute, melted margarine, sugar, almond extract and cinnamon together in a bowl and pour over bread slices.
- Cover pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place pan in oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar or non-calorie sweetener, if desired.
- Plain or flavored nondairy creamer may be used instead or rice milk. Susan says her patients and teammates prefer coconut cream flavor.
- Vanilla or coconut extract may be used in place of almond extract.
- For diabetics use Splenda® granular sweetener instead of sugar to reduce carbohydrate to 44 grams and calories to 364 per serving or serve a half portion.
- Liquid egg substitute is recommended. If eggs are used instead, calories are 550, fat 24 g, phosphorus 263 mg and cholesterol 423 mg.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 16 g
Carbohydrates 65 g
Fat 14 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 390 mg
Potassium 221 mg
Phosphorus 111 mg
Calcium 86 mg
Fiber .8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 2 starch
- 1 fat
- 2-1/2 high calorie
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Susan from New York.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register