1 large waffle
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup 1% low fat milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Heat a waffle iron. In a mixing bowl, mix together the cake flour and baking soda and set aside. Separate the egg whites and egg yolks. Whisk together egg yolks, sour cream, milk and vanilla extract. Melt the butter and then mix into the sour cream mixture.
- In a different bowl, beat the egg whites with a hand-mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes. Add the granulated sugar to the egg whites and continue to beat until stiff peaks form, about 3 to 4 more minutes.
- Whisk the sour cream mixture into the flour mixture until just combined. Gently fold in the beaten egg whites until mixture is smooth; do not overmix.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the batter to the waffle iron, close and cook for about 3 minutes. Serve waffles with the powdered sugar. Other suggested toppings include fresh berries, whipped cream, jam or syrup.
- Maple syrup may be substituted for the powdered sugar. If maple syrup is used, 1/4 cup has 54 g carbohydrate and 170 mg of potassium. Some light or imitation pancake syrup may have phosphorus additives; read the ingredient list to try to avoid these additives.
- Strawberries, blueberries and or raspberries can also be an option for topping these waffles. A 1/2 cup of berries adds 5-10 g of carbohydrate and 55-110 mg of potassium, depending on the fruit used.
- If you are limiting carbs change portion to 1/2 waffle and top with berries and whipped cream (30-35 grams carbohydrate).
Nutrients per serving
Protein 8 g
Carbohydrates 50 g
Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 98 mg
Sodium 204 mg
Potassium 151 mg
Phosphorus 121 mg
Calcium 81 mg
Fiber 1 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 starch
- 2 fat
- 1/2 high-calorie
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Jackie from Virginia.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register