3/4 cup (2/3 cup if thicker)
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup 2% low fat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/3 cup white or yellow grits
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a medium pan, heat water, milk and salt over medium-high heat until boiling.
- Add grits and stir. Decrease heat to low and partially cover pan with a lid. For smooth grits, stir often.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes for old-fashioned grits, or 8 to 9 minutes for quick-cooking grits.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in butter.
- Divide into 2 portions and top each serving with 2 tablespoons shredded cheese. Stir in the cheese and serve hot.
- Sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese results in a cheesier flavor while using a limited amount. For additional cheesier taste and B vitamins boost, stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Increase dry grits to 1/2 cup for thicker grits.
- Avoid instant grits. Sodium ranges from 340 to 520 mg per serving.
- Unsweetened milk alternatives like almond, rice or soy milk can be used instead of cow’s milk.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 8 g
Carbohydrates 23 g
Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 28 mg
Sodium 268 mg
Potassium 133 mg
Phosphorus 142 mg
Calcium 178 mg
Fiber 1.2 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 milk
- 1 fat
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Grace from Oklahoma
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register