- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- Heart Healthy
- 2 cup water
- 1 small apple, diced
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- 2/3 cup oatmeal, quick-cooking
- 2 large eggs
- Combine water, diced apple or applesauce, cranberries, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until apple is tender.
- Stir in oatmeal, bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute.
- Gradually add half of the oatmeal to a beaten egg. Add that mixture back to oatmeal and cook about 10 seconds.
- Serve with milk or milk substitute and sweetener, as meal plan permits.
- Egg may be added directly to oatmeal if desired.
- Avoid instant oatmeal because it is high in sodium.
- If desired substitute 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce for fresh apple.
- For a gluten-free version be sure to use oats that indicates gluten-free on the label.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 10 g
Carbohydrates 30 g
Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 212 mg
Sodium 79 mg
Potassium 230 mg
Phosphorus 214 mg
Calcium 55 mg
Fiber 4.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1 starch
- 1 fruit, medium potassium
Submitted by: Recipe modified from The American Diabetes Association, The American Dietetic Association Family Cookbook, Volume II-1984. DaVita renal dietitian Ellen from Ohio.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register