Creamy Oatmeal with Cinnamon
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- Heart Healthy
- 1/2 small apple
- 1 cup water
- 2 cinnamon sticks + 2 dashes of cinnamon
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted pumpkin seeds (pepitas) (optional)
- Chop the apple half.
- Add water and cinnamon to a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add oats and bring to a gentle boil.
- Add the almond milk and vanilla and stir to combine; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Divide into 2 bowls. Top each serving with half of the chopped apple and 1/2 tablespoon pepitas.
- Look for almond milk without added phosphate additives. If added calcium is a concern try Califia® brand vanilla almond milk.
- Add one teaspoon ground cinnamon instead of cinnamon sticks if preferred.
- Other milk substitutes include soy, rice or coconut milk beverage.
- Add sweetener of choice if you prefer sweet oatmeal.
- Add a scoop of whey protein powder to boost the protein in this recipe.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitians Cathy from New York and Judith from California
Nutrients per serving
Protein 5 g
Carbohydrates 32 g
Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 43 mg
Potassium 209 mg
Phosphorus 124 mg
Calcium 150 mg
Fiber 5.2 g
Added Sugar 4 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 fruit, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register