- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 tablespoons egg whites liquid, divided
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- cinnamon to taste
- Preheat a non-stick skillet on medium-high heat.
- In a bowl, put 2 tablespoons of egg whites, and then add one slice of bread. Be sure to get egg only on one side of the bread. Let egg soak into bread.
- Place bread egg side down in skillet.
- Add cream cheese and applesauce to bread in the pan and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Repeat step 2 with the other slice of bread and place it on top of the slice in the pan, egg side up
- When bottom of the first bread slice is browned, flip it over and brown the other side.
- Remove to plate and top with the syrup of your choice.
- One egg yolk contains 66 mg phosphorus. Angela recommends using only the egg white so you can use whole wheat bread to increase fiber and still keep phosphorus low. One slice of white bread contains 25 mg phosphorus; one slice whole wheat bread contains 57 mg phosphorus.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 16 g
Carbohydrates 26 g
Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 33 mg
Sodium 466 mg
Potassium 314 mg
Phosphorus 158 mg
Calcium 118 mg
Fiber 5.4 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 2 starch
- 1 fat
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Angela from Tennessee.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register