Hearty Breakfast Burritos with Pineapple Jalapeno Salsa
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, cut into 1/2”-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup shitake or button mushrooms, sliced and chopped roughly
- 12 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- pepper to taste
- 6 flour tortillas, 10” size
- Prepare salsa first by mixing together pineapple, cilantro, jalapenos, lime juice and brown sugar in a non-reactive bowl (glass, plastic or ceramic). Set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat oil and sauté green peppers and mushrooms over medium heat for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Drain off excess liquid.
- Pour beaten eggs over mixture in skillet and sprinkle the green onion evenly over eggs. As the eggs begin to set pull them across the skillet with a spatula, forming large curds.
- Continue cooking and folding eggs until no visible liquid egg remains.
- Season with pepper.
- Spoon egg mixture onto individual tortillas, divided evenly.
- Spoon 1/3 cup pineapple salsa onto each tortilla, fold ends, and roll up burrito-style.
- For hotter jalapeno flavor, leave seeds in. For less heat cut down to 1 pepper.
- Substitute fresh pineapple with canned pineapple tidbits or chunks.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Erin from Illinois.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 19 g
Carbohydrates 44 g
Fat 18 g
Cholesterol 372 mg
Sodium 546 mg
Potassium 411 mg
Phosphorus 325 mg
Calcium 127 mg
Fiber 3.8 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 2 starch
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register