two 4" pancakes
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon maple extract
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the egg whites, milk, oil and maple extract.
- Add egg mixture all at once into to the dry mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
- To make 4” pancakes, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet.
- Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden. Flip the pancake when it has bubbly surface and edges are slightly dry. To keep pancakes light and fluffy, turn only once and avoid pressing with the spatula.
- Serve with syrup, fruit spread or berries.
- To keep total breakfast sodium intake low, use unsalted butter on pancakes and avoid salty breakfast meats.
- This recipe was revised after the video was made. The 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute was replaced with 2 egg whites, and the 1 cup nondairy creamer was replaced with 1 cup 1% low-fat milk. These changes were made to omit ingredients that contain phosphate additives.
Submitted by: Recipe created by DaVita patient, Chef Ronald, and submitted by DaVita dietitian Maryam from Minnesota.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 6 g
Carbohydrates 25 g
Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 2 mg
Sodium 297 mg
Potassium 126 mg
Phosphorus 116 mg
Calcium 174 mg
Fiber 0.7 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 meat
- 1-1/2 starch
- 1/2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register