- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- Heart Healthy
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons old fashioned grits, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon bulgur, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon roasted whole buckwheat, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon steel-cut oats, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons plain couscous, uncooked
- Boil water in a 1-1/2 quart covered pot.
- Add grits; stir briefly.
- Add bulgur, buckwheat, and oats; stir briefly.
- Reduce heat to a vigorous simmer; liberally spray nonstick cooking spray on simmering surface.
- Cover pot; simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove pot from burner; stir in couscous.
- Let pot stand covered for 8 minutes, then serve.
- If desired, drizzle with honey or your favorite sweetener. Add unsalted margarine or butter, blueberries or dried cranberries before serving.
- Makes a thick cereal. Thin by adding water or milk substitute in 1/2 ounce increments.
- Refrigerate extra serving and reheat in the microwave for 30-60 seconds for a quick breakfast.
- You can buy smaller amounts of grains if you shop at a market that offers grains in bulk containers. Find a variety of grain products at supermarkets, natural food stores and on the internet.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 5 g
Carbohydrates 30 g
Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 7 mg
Potassium 87 mg
Phosphorus 91 mg
Calcium 15 mg
Fiber 3.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 starch
Submitted by: Recipe created by DaVita patient Ted and submitted by DaVita renal dietitian Lynn from Maryland.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register