No Fuss Microwave Egg White French Toast
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 slice bread
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free syrup
- Spread butter over bread or English muffin. Cut into cubes.
- Place buttered bread cubes in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Pour egg whites over bread to cover.
- Sprinkle syrup on top.
- Microwave for 1 minute; push up edges of egg white to let uncooked egg out to edges.
- Microwave another minute or until egg is set.
- Serve warm as French toast or chill and eat as bread pudding.
- Egg whites provide excellent quality protein with minimal phosphorus or fat.
- If desired substitute 2 whole eggs, beaten for 1/2-cup egg white. This change will increase nutrients to 288 calories, 15 g fat, 434 mg cholesterol and 226 mg phosphorus; sodium is reduced to 353 mg.
- If desired, substitute natural maple syrup or cinnamon sugar for lite or sugar-free syrup.
- This recipe works well with an English muffin half instead of a slice of bread.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Susan from Oregon.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 15 g
Carbohydrates 24 g
Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 11 mg
Sodium 415 mg
Potassium 235 mg
Phosphorus 54 mg
Calcium 50 mg
Fiber 0.7 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 starch
- 1/2 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register