Quick and Easy Apple Oatmeal Custard
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/2 medium apple
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Core and finely chop apple half.
- Combine oats, egg and almond milk in a large mug. Stir well with a fork. Add cinnamon and apple. Stir again until fully mixed.
- Cook in microwave on high for 2 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Cook an additional 30 to 60 seconds if needed.
- Stir in a little more milk or water if thinner cereal is desired.
- For additional flavor replace ground cinnamon with finely grated stick cinnamon.
- Cooking time may vary for different microwaves.
- Drizzle oatmeal with 2 teaspoons of honey if desired. Count as an additional 12 grams of carbohydrate and 1 carbohydrate choice if you follow a carbohydrate counting meal plan for diabetes.
- Substitute 1/4 cup 1% low fat milk and 1/4 cup water for almond milk if preferred. This changes the protein to 12 grams, phosphorus to 278 mg and potassium to 358 mg.
- Oatmeal is higher in potassium and phosphorus compared to refined grains, but can be included in most kidney diets. Discuss with your dietitian if you are unsure.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Maryann from Virginia.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 11 g
Carbohydrates 33 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 186 mg
Sodium 164 mg
Potassium 362 mg
Phosphorus 240 mg
Calcium 154 mg
Fiber 5.8 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1 starch
- 1 milk substitute
- 1 fruit, low potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register