2 small squares or 1/2 large square
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 envelopes dry active yeast
- 2 cups Rice Dream® original non-dairy rice drink, unenriched
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/2 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- In a large mixing bowl, place the water and yeast and stir to dissolve. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add the Rice Dream®, oil, salt and sugar.
- Beat in the flour, cornmeal and eggs to mix, but do not over beat.
- Set the mixture in a warm place until mixture just begins to rise, about 15 minutes.
- Cook in a pre-heated waffle iron.
- Divide cooked waffle into 2-square portions (1/2 large waffle) and top with your favorite syrup, fruit spread or fresh fruit.
- For those with diabetes, top with a sugar free syrup or fruit spread.
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour may be substituted for 1/2 cup white flour. Waffles are higher in fiber (2.3 g for 2 small squares), potassium 130 mg, phosphorus 119 mg.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 5 g
Carbohydrates 30 g
Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 53 mg
Sodium 78 mg
Potassium 109 mg
Phosphorus 96 mg
Calcium 13 mg
Fiber 1.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 starch
- 1-1/2 fat
Submitted by: Recipe adapted from The New York Times Natural Foods Cookbook, by Susan Peters, M.S. R.D. submitted by DaVita dietitian Susan from New York.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register