Savory High Protein Muffins
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 medium onion
- 1/4 cup pecans halves
- 1 tablespoon Mrs.Dash® herb seasoning blend
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 cups Special K® cereal
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Chop the onion and pecans.
- In a skillet over medium heat sauté the onion, nuts and seasoning blend in olive oil. Add remaining ingredients, mixing well.
- Divide the mixture into 12 muffin cups (approximately 1/3 cup each) and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Rest for 5 minutes; remove from muffin tin to cool.
- Eat warm or chilled.
- Place entire recipe into a greased casserole dish and bake for 45 to 60 minutes. Serve plain or with low-sodium gravy as a meatless meatloaf.
- Add green or red pepper, jalapenos or other vegetables of choice, if desired.
- Try as a high protein dessert muffin with cinnamon and sugar or maple syrup and even chopped apples instead of onion and seasoning mix.
- Substitute the Greek yogurt for cottage cheese or tofu. Cottage cheese is higher in sodium. Check the label for the brand lowest in sodium.
- Bake, covered with foil if you prefer a softer texture, or bake longer until rich golden or dark crust if you like a little crunch.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Susan from Oregon.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 7 g
Carbohydrates 6 g
Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 63 mg
Sodium 79 mg
Potassium 116 mg
Phosphorus 90 mg
Calcium 51 mg
Fiber 1.1 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register