The Spicy Frittata
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 small zucchini
- 1/2 cup onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 small tomato
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chilies
- 2 large eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth
- Thinly slice the zucchini. Finely chop the onion and garlic. Chop the tomatoes and cilantro.
- Beat together eggs, egg whites, turmeric, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon broth in a 10” or 12” stainless steel or non-stick skillet..
Add onion, garlic, zucchini and green chilies. Sauté for about three minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tomato and cilantro.
- Pour egg mixture over vegetables. Turn heat to low, cover and cook for about 10 minutes, checking periodically to see if eggs are firm.
- When done, run a rubber spatula around edge of frittata, cut into four wedges and serve.
- Use a pan no more than 12”-inch in diameter, otherwise vegetables get too spread out and will overcook.
- Have ingredients ready before cooking, otherwise, the zucchini will overcook, release water and dilute the flavor.
- Check the firmness of eggs after 5 to 6 minutes to make sure they cook to perfection. Eggs won't be very fluffy because of using more egg whites than yolks, but it helps to beat them well right before pouring over vegetables.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Michelle, and renal intern Marta, from Washington.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 8 g
Carbohydrates 7 g
Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 106 mg
Sodium 184 mg
Potassium 360 mg
Phosphorus 96 mg
Calcium 38 mg
Fiber 2.3 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1-1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register