- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 7 slices sourdough bread, 1/2” thick
- 1 cup onion
- 1 cup raw mushrooms
- 1 cup red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 15 fresh spinach leaves
- 7 large eggs
- 1/4 cup tarragon vinegar
- 1-3/4 cups half & half creamer
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco® hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ounce shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cut bread into cubes. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 225° F for 15 minutes. Turn cubes over and continue baking 15 minutes or until dry and crisp.
- Dice onion, mushrooms and bell pepper.
- Melt butter in a small skillet and sauté onion, mushrooms and red peppers.
- Grease a 9” square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange half of the bread cubes in a single layer in the dish and sprinkle with half of the vegetable mixture. Arrange spinach leaves on top.
- Form a second layer with remaining bread and vegetables on top.
- Whisk together eggs, vinegar, half & half creamer, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and black pepper. Pour evenly over the bread.
- Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Allow strata to stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 325° F. Remove plastic wrap and bake 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top. Cook for an additional 10 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cut into 9 servings and serve hot.
- Look for a rustic-style artisan white bread or a sourdough round loaf. Slice 1/2 inch thick. Compare breads and select the lower sodium choice.
- Look for half and half without "phos" in the ingredient list, this would indicate a phosphate additive, which should be avoided.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Roselyn from Colorado.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 11 g
Carbohydrates 15 g
Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 165 mg
Sodium 218 mg
Potassium 347 mg
Phosphorus 207 mg
Calcium 151 mg
Fiber 2.0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 starch
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register