Waffle Iron Corn Bread
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plain cornmeal, white or yellow
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Plug in waffle iron to warm
- In a bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder.
- In another bowl, combine eggs, almond milk and oil.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients just until moistened.
- Lightly spray hot waffle iron with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Fill with one cup of corn bread mix.
- Follow waffle iron’s instructions to cook, approximately 3 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining corn bread batter.
- Tear apart each waffle into 4 sections and serve warm.
- Traditional corn bread requires preheating the oven and cooking for 20 minutes. Waffle iron cornbread is easy to make in minutes with a unique waffle pattern you can use for a drizzle of honey or butter. You may never make cornbread the old way again!
- Freeze extra waffles to reheat later.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Heidi from California
Nutrients per serving
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 23 g
Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 31 mg
Sodium 110 mg
Potassium 56 mg
Phosphorus 60 mg
Calcium 95 mg
Fiber 0.8 g
Added Sugar 4 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 starch
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register