- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1/2 cup red or green peppers
- 1/2 cup summer squash
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 12 large eggs
- 6 quart-size ziptop food storage bags
- Dice peppers and squash; chop onion and slice mushrooms.
- Crack 2 large eggs and pour into a ziptop bag. Shake the bag to combine eggs.
- Add your choice of vegetables.
- Close bag. Be sure to get all the air out of the bag. Shake to mix ingredients.
- Repeat above steps to make 6 servings with remaining ingredients.
- Place the bags in boiling water for 10-15 minutes. Remove and carefully open the bag and the omelet will roll out.
- Add black pepper or Mrs. Dash® herb seasoning for extra flavor.
- Works great for a group, since each person can pick what ingredients they want in their omelet.
- Serve with English muffin, bagel, fruit, or toast.
- Cook up to 6 omelets in a large pot.
- For a lower cholesterol omelet use 3 egg whites or 1/2 cup low cholesterol egg product instead of whole eggs.
- If you are on a lower protein diet make the omelot with one egg. Count as 7 grams protein.
- Research on cooking with plastics shows the safest plastic for use with food is polypropylene. Avoid polyvinyl chloride (PVC), which can leach into the food. If you are still concerned you can make this recipe in a skillet without using the zip-top bags.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 13 g
Carbohydrates 3 g
Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 423 mg
Sodium 140 mg
Potassium 215 mg
Phosphorus 205 mg
Calcium 58 mg
Fiber 0.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Kathryn from Tennessee.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
12 muffins SERVINGS
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register