1 chicken breast
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup trans-fat free margarine
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® herb seasoning blend
- 4 fresh basil sprigs, optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Place chicken breast halves in a glass baking pan. Pierce each breast with a fork several times to allow mixture to season and flavor as it cooks.
- Melt margarine in a glass mixing bowl in the microwave. Start at 15 seconds and stir to distribute heat.
- To melted margarine, add basil, parmesan cheese, garlic powder and Mrs. Dash®. Stir mixture with a fork or whisk.
- Pour mixture evenly over chicken breasts making sure parmesan cheese is smoothly distributed.
- Baked uncovered, basting every 10 minutes with mixture from the pan, for a total of about 25 minutes or until juices in chicken are clear, not pink.
- Two tablespoons dried basil may be substituted if fresh basil is unavailable.
- Parmesan cheese contains 36 milligrams phosphorus for one tablespoon. The key is to limit recipe to a very small amount to keep phosphorus low.
- This recipe may be used in a CKD non-dialysis diet, but the portion size may need to be adjusted for a lower protein diet. Ask your dietitian about modifications for your individual protein requirements.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Carla from Florida.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 27 g
Carbohydrates 0 g
Fat 16 g
Cholesterol 74 mg
Sodium 231 mg
Potassium 246 mg
Phosphorus 210 mg
Calcium 31 mg
Fiber 0.1 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3-1/2 meat
- 1/2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register