Cabbage Rolls Made with Turkey
2 cabbage rolls
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 12 cabbage leaves
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (divided use)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1-1/4 cup water (divided use)
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Carefully remove 12 cabbage leaves from a whole cabbage and wash them.
- Boil a large pot of water. Add cabbage leaves and cook for 2 minutes to soften. Drain and set leaves aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, rice, onion, eggs, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, basil, parsley and 1/4 cup water.
- Place 1/4 cup of the turkey mixture on the cabbage leaf and fold sides of leaf over turkey mixture.
- Place rolls close together, seam side down in a baking dish.
- Combine tomato paste, lemon juice, 1 cup water, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and sugar to make a sauce. Top cabbage rolls with sauce. Cover and bake at 375° F for 1-1/2 hour. Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer.
- Cabbage rolls can be cooked in a slow cooker on low setting for 6 to 8 hours instead of baked in the oven.
- If you are following a low-potassium diet, be aware 2 cabbage rolls are equal to 2 vegetable servings. Consuming extra servings of fruits or vegetables can cause high potassium levels.
Submitted by: DaVita® dietitian Wendy from Ohio.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 17 g
Carbohydrates 26 g
Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 96 mg
Sodium 112 mg
Potassium 581 mg
Phosphorus 190 mg
Calcium 80 mg
Fiber 3.5 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 2 vegetables, medium potassium
- 1 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register