Chicken and Apple Curry
one chicken breast with sauce
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup rice milk, unenriched
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Arrange chicken breasts in a single layer in a 9” x 13” (or larger) baking dish, adding pepper to taste. Set aside.
In a saucepan, sauté apple, onion and garlic in butter over a medium heat until tender.
Add curry powder and basil; mix well, and sauté for another minute.
Stir in the flour, and continue to cook one minute longer.
Add chicken broth and rice milk, stirring well. Remove from heat.
Pour sauce mixture over chicken breasts, and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until chicken is done.
- Monica recommends Swanson’s® low-sodium chicken broth. By definition, low sodium broth contains no more than 140 mg sodium per cup.
- To prevent spills in the oven, you can cover the chicken before baking.
- Chicken and Apple Curry is great with steamed white rice.
- This is a high protein meal. If you are on a lower protein diet, adjust the portion according to your meal plan.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Monica from Minnesota.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 29 g
Carbohydrates 11 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 85 mg
Sodium 118 mg
Potassium 323 mg
Phosphorus 225 mg
Calcium 34 mg
Fiber 1.2 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 4 meat
- 1/2 starch
- 1/4 fruit, low potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register