- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 cup bell pepper
- 1/2 cup onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 2 cups cubed chicken, cooked
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash® herb seasoning blend
- Heat oven to 350° F. Spray a 1-1/2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Chop bell pepper and onion.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and butter over low heat.
- After butter is melted, stir in flour and black pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce, broth and milk. Heat to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for one minute.
- Stir in cooked rice, chicken, mushrooms, bell pepper, onion and Mrs. Dash herb seasoning.
- Pour into baking dish. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and continue cooking for 20 minutes.
- Portion leftovers and freeze to reheat later for a quick meal.
- For variation, substitute 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables for bell peppers and mushrooms.
- Reduce or increase the amount of poultry for a lower or higher protein meal.
- Substitute turkey for chicken if desired.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 20 g
Carbohydrates 38 g
Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 52 mg
Sodium 125 mg
Potassium 386 mg
Phosphorus 216 mg
Calcium 71 mg
Fiber 1.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 2 starch
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
Submitted by: the DaVita renal dietitian team.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register