Chicken and Vegetable Bake
6 ounces or 1/6th recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 16 ounces medium-sized egg noodles
- 10 ounces frozen carrots, cut julienne-style
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 10 ounces frozen, chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Heat oven to 350 °F.
- Coat a 3-quart, rectangular baking dish with non-stick spray. Set the dish aside.
- Cook noodles according to package directions omitting salt. Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Cook chicken pieces for 3 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Transfer chicken to a large bowl.
- Add onion, pepper, broccoli and carrots to skillet. Cook and stir until veggies are tender.
- Dump veggies into bowl with chicken and stir in broth, dry mustard, pepper and noodles.
- Spoon mixture into baking dish.
- Mix bread crumbs and melted butter together. Sprinkle over chicken mixture.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes, until heated through.
- When cooking veggies in skillet, add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, if needed.
- Serve with a tossed salad and red wine vinegar dressing, plus a dinner roll with unsalted butter.
- A delicious beverage choice is apple or cranberry juice (not calcium fortified or enriched) or fresh brewed iced tea with lemon.
- Extra portions freeze well for a quick meal later.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Eileen from New York.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 36 g
Carbohydrates 44 g
Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 120 mg
Sodium 178 mg
Potassium 567 mg
Phosphorus 359 mg
Calcium 94 mg
Fiber 5.1 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3-1/2 meat
- 2-1/2 starch
- 1-1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register