Chicken Lo Mein
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces lo mein noodles
- 1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1-1/2 cups carrots, diagonally sliced
- 1 cup celery, diagonally sliced
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 1 cup raw mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Cook lo mein noodles according to package omitting salt. Drain and set aside.
- Thinly slice chicken breasts.
- Heat olive oil in a wok or big, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Add onions, carrots and celery. Stir-fry gently until vegetables are cooked but still crunchy, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and noodles, and stir constantly until hot.
- Add soy sauce, stir and serve.
- Linguine or fettuccine can be used instead of lo mein noodles. The nutrient composition is very similar.
- Replace chicken with thin slices of beef for variety.
- Use leftover grilled chicken or beef from a cookout the day before. In step #3, reduce cooking time to 1 to 2 minutes.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Laura from Texas.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 27 g
Carbohydrates 44 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 56 mg
Sodium 353 mg
Potassium 542 mg
Phosphorus 253 mg
Calcium 46 mg
Fiber 3.5 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 2-1/2 starch
- 2 vegetables, low and medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register