- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 12 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled, diced small
- 1-1/2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 12 ounces farfelle pasta
- In a large saucepan, place chicken, water and seasonings. Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Place diced potatoes in a large pot of room temperature water and bring to a boil. remove from heat, drain water and add fresh room temperature water. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Skim fat from broth.
- Add carrots, celery and onion to broth and heat to boiling. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in boiled potatoes, parsley and bows and boil 14 minutes or until bows are tender.
- Cut chicken into pieces and stir into pot pie mixture; heat through and serve.
- Farfelle pasta is also known as pot pie bows.
- The potatoes are double cooked to remove part of the potassium. If you are not on a low potassium diet you can skip this step.
- Freeze leftovers in individual portions for a quick meal later.
- You can reduce the chicken to 1 pound if you are on a lower protein diet.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 32 g
Carbohydrates 42 g
Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 70 mg
Sodium 118 mg
Potassium 521 mg
Phosphorus 290 mg
Calcium 59 mg
Fiber 3.3 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3-1/2 meat
- 2 starch
- 2 vegetable, low and medium potassium
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Elizabeth from Pennsylvania.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register