- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 cups Swiss chard
- 1 cup red onion
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 5 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Shred Swiss chard. Chop the red onion and garlic.
- Add olive oil, 4 tablespoons of lemon juice, pepper, onion, garlic, quinoa and wild rice and chicken broth to a 9-inch x 13-inch baking pan. Mix ingredients together.
- Add Swiss chard on top of rice mixture.
- Add chicken thighs on top of Swiss chard.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes or until chicken is done and the majority of chicken broth has been absorbed.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes. While dish is cooling, chop fresh parsley and combine with remaining 2 tablespoon lemon juice. Sprinkle on top and enjoy!
- To see if enough liquid has been absorbed, insert a spoon into the rice mixture until it hits the bottom of the pan. Draw the spoon towards the center of the pan through the rice mixture. A small amount of liquid should seep into where the line was drawn.
- Each garlic clove is about 1 teaspoon chopped.
- A 2-pound package of boneless chicken thighs usually contains 6 pieces.
- For a higher protein meal serve one thigh instead of 1/2.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 18 g
Carbohydrates 23 g
Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 69 mg
Sodium 78 mg
Potassium 370 mg
Phosphorus 260 mg
Calcium 30 mg
Fiber 2.4 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
Submitted by: Recipe created by dietetic intern Melissa and submitted by DaVita dietitian Stephanie from Oregon.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register