Chicken with Roasted Garlic and Mushroom Sauce
1/4 of recipe
- 2 garlic bulbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 1-1/4 lbs)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Cut the tops off of each garlic bulb to expose cloves. Place the bulbs cut side up on a large piece of foil. Drizzle bulbs with the oil, then wrap a piece of foil around the bulbs tightly. Place in a baking dish and bake 45 to 50 minutes or until garlic is tender. Cool slightly. Squeeze soft cloves out of the skins, finely chop, then set aside.
- While the garlic is baking, place each chicken breast between 2 pieces of plastic wrap; gently pound with flat side of a meat mallet until about 1/4 inch thick. In a shallow pan, mix together the flour, thyme, salt and pepper. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the seasoned flour for the sauce. Coat the chicken with remaining flour mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for 6-8 minutes until no longer pink in center (165°F with a thermometer), turning once. Place chicken on a plate and cover to keep warm.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining butter. Cook mushrooms over medium heat until lightly browned. Sprinkle the reserved seasoned flour over the mushrooms. Cook and stir for about 2 minutes. Mix in the chicken broth, milk and roasted garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer about 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add chicken to the skillet with sauce and heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve chicken with 1/3 cup rice or 1/2 cup pasta; each is about 1 carbohydrate serving.
- For a lower protein portion cut the chicken breasts in half after cooking.
Submitted by: the DaVita dietitian team.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 35 g
Carbohydrates 20 g
Fat 19 g
Cholesterol 112 mg
Sodium 259 mg
Potassium 486 mg
Phosphorus 319 mg
Calcium 86 mg
Fiber 1.0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 4 meat
- 1 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register