Creamy Chicken and Fresh Pepper Chowder
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- Chop the poblano and bell peppers and onion. Chop the cilantro. Cut cream cheese into cubes and set out to soften.
- Place chicken breasts, broth, cumin, garlic powder and black pepper in large saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken and cut into bite size pieces; keep warm.
- Add bay leaf, peppers, onion and cream cheese to stock and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken back to saucepan and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle each serving with cilantro and 1 tablespoon cheddar cheese.
- Some fresh chicken breast meat is “plumped” or “injected” with a saltwater solution which may also contain phosphorus or potassium. Look for fresh chicken breasts that do not include “15% solution” on the package.
Submitted by: DaVita teammate Belinda and renal dietitian Mori from Texas
Nutrients per serving
Protein 20 g
Carbohydrates 7 g
Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 65 mg
Sodium 228 mg
Potassium 420 mg
Phosphorus 230 mg
Calcium 114 mg
Fiber 1.5 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1/2 milk
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register