Curry Sauce with Meat
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon ginger root
- 1/3 cup carrots
- 1/3 cup celery
- 1/3 cup onion
- 1 small apple
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless chicken
- Mince garlic and ginger. Finely chop carrots, celery, and onion. Slice mushrooms. Chop apple.
- Combine flour, garlic, ginger, curry powder and vegetable oil in a non-stick, deep skillet (at least 4 quarts) over a medium heat.
- Stir until curry becomes paste-like.
- Slowly add broth, and stir until sauce is smooth.
- Add vegetables, apple and white pepper.
- Simmer, stirring constantly, for 15 minutes, or until well blended.
- Bring sauce to a boil and add chicken.
- Simmer curry for 1-1/2 hours over a low heat, stirring regularly and serve.
- Save time by using Trader Joe’s® Mirepoix mix, a pre-chopped, pre-washed container of carrots, celery and onion.
- Substitute beef or seafood for chicken for variety. If using raw beef, brown it before adding to curry in step 6.
- For CKD non-dialysis on a lower protein diet, decrease portion to 3/4 cup.
- Serve over rice for a complete meal.
Submitted by: Recipe created by dialysis patient Anthony, and submitted by DaVita renal dietitian Karen from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 33 g
Carbohydrates 8 g
Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 70 mg
Sodium 128 mg
Potassium 517 mg
Phosphorus 267 mg
Calcium 35 mg
Fiber 2.0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 4 meat
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register