Curry Turkey Dish with Pineapple Rice
3/4-cup curry mixture and 1/2-cup rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium tomato paste
- 2-1/2 cups water (divided use)
- 2 cups zucchini, sliced 1/4” thick
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 cups cooked turkey, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup drained pineapple tidbits, canned in its own juice
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice (drained from the canned pineapple)
- Sauté onions in olive oil until soft.
- Mix all of the spices together and stir in the tomato paste.
- Stir spice mixture into the onions in the pan.
- Mix in 1-1/4 cups water and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in zucchini, peas and turkey.
- Cover and simmer for about 25 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Mix together the pineapple, rice, pineapple juice and remaining 1-1/4 cups water in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until all of the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Serve curry dish over pineapple rice.
- This recipe is a great way to use leftover turkey.
- Pork or chicken can be substituted for turkey.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Susan from Oklahoma.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 25 g
Carbohydrates 37 g
Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 53 mg
Sodium 179 mg
Potassium 630 mg
Phosphorus 248 mg
Calcium 74 mg
Fiber 4.8 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 starch
- 1/2 fruit, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register