Easy Turkey Sloppy Joes
1/6 recipe on 1 hamburger bun
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey, 7% fat
- 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash® Chicken Grilling Blend seasoning
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup low-sodium tomato sauce
- 6 hamburger buns
- Chop onion and bell pepper.
- Place in a large skillet with turkey and cook over medium high heat until turkey is cooked through. Do not drain.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Mrs. Dash® seasoning, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce.
- Add seasonings to the turkey mixture. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Divide into 6 portions and serve on hamburger buns.
- Lean ground beef may be substituted for ground turkey. Drain the fat after browning the beef in preparation step one.
- To save time, use frozen chopped onions and bell pepper.
- For a lower-protein diet, reduce turkey to 1 pound or portion can be adjusted according to your diet plan.
Submitted by: Recipe from a former hemodialysis patient and submitted by DaVita renal dietitian, Tammy from Louisiana.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 24 g
Carbohydrates 28 g
Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 58 mg
Sodium 288 mg
Potassium 513 mg
Phosphorus 237 mg
Calcium 86 mg
Fiber 1.8 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register