Grilled Buttermilk Garlic Marinated Chicken
1 breast or 2 drumsticks
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 chicken breasts, bone-in, with skin (or 4 chicken drumsticks)
- Chop the garlic cloves.
- To make the marinade add buttermilk, olive oil, garlic and black pepper to a large zip top bag. Seal the bag and shake to combine ingredients.
- Place chicken in the buttermilk marinade, seal bag and shake to distribute evenly.
- Refrigerate the chicken at least 2 hours, or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat a grill to medium heat. Remove the chicken from marinade and place on the grill. Discard extra marinade. Grill the chicken until internal temperature reaches 160-165º F.
- This recipe can be easily adjusted to accommodate more or less chicken. For every one pound of chicken use 1 cup buttermilk and 1 tablespoon oil.
- For additional seasoning, add any of your favorite herbs or spices including parsley, rosemary or basil
- Approximately 25% of the marinade is absorbed. Recipe analysis based on this rule.
- Adjust the portion for a lower or higher protein diet.
- If preferred you can substitute boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Jessica from Kansas.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 28 g
Carbohydrates 5 g
Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 74 mg
Sodium 124 mg
Potassium 318 mg
Phosphorus 238 mg
Calcium 70 mg
Fiber 0.5 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 4 meat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register