1 chicken thigh
- CKD non-dialysis
- 6 medium green onions
- 1 small onion
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 habanero or 1 scotch bonnet chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Coarsely chop the green and yellow onions. Peel and chop the ginger. Mince the garlic cloves. Seed and chop the hot peppers.
- Place all ingredients, except chicken, in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Place chicken and blended mixture in a dish or large zip-top bag. Seal and refrigerate to marinate for 3 to 24 hours.
- Remove chicken from the container and discard remaining marinade.
- Heat a grill on medium-high heat. Oil the grill rack, then add chicken and cook on each side for about 10 to 12 minutes. Chicken should reach 165° F before removing from the grill.
- Use a grill pan if grill is not available to get char marks on chicken.
- If substituting pork for chicken cook to 160° F.
- If habanera and scotch bonnet peppers are unavailable substitute with your favorite hot chili.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 21 g
Carbohydrates 10 g
Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 104 mg
Sodium 347 mg
Potassium 398 mg
Phosphorus 210 mg
Calcium 46 mg
Fiber 1.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Nicole from Virginia.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register