1 chicken breast
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 14 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Trim chicken breasts and pound until thin.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil.
- Transfer chicken to a plate, and reserve.
- Add onion to oil left in the skillet and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add broth, lemon juice, thyme and black pepper. Continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet and cook another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
- Purchase thinly sliced chicken breast at the meat counter to eliminate pounding, if desired.
- Serving ideas: over rice with green beans, or with noodles and carrots or as an open-faced sandwich on white bread and ladle broth mixture over it.
- Low-sodium broth contains 140 mg or less sodium per serving. Reduced-sodium broth contains 220 to 600 mg sodium per serving.
- Avoid low-sodium broth with potassium chloride — it’s very high in potassium.
- If you are on a low protein diet adjust the portion to match your meal plan.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 31 g
Carbohydrates 5 g
Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 73 mg
Sodium 97 mg
Potassium 364 mg
Phosphorus 225 mg
Calcium 27 mg
Fiber 0.9 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 4 meat
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Eileen from New York.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register