1 chicken breast
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1 scallion, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. When hot, add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook until chicken is browned and opaque throughout. Transfer to a warm platter.
- Discard oil in pan and place over medium heat. Add the maple syrup, and heat until it bubbles; stir in the marmalade and add the juice of one lemon. Boil until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute.
- Pour sauce over the chicken. Garnish with fresh parsley and scallions if desired.
- Cindy says “My husband and I love this dish. It is easy and quick, taking only about 10 minutes to prepare.”
- Use sugar-free maple syrup to lower carbohydrates if you have diabetes. Carbohydrate is reduced to 10 grams and carbohydrate count is 1/2.
- Buy large chicken breasts if you are on a dialysis diet and need high protein. Recipe analyzed with four 5-ounce chicken breasts.
- For CKD non-dialysis on a lower protein diet, reduce the serving size to 1/2 chicken breast or weigh the portion according to your meal plan.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Cindy from Colorado.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 33 g
Carbohydrates 19 g
Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 88 mg
Sodium 379 mg
Potassium 327 mg
Phosphorus 244 mg
Calcium 38 mg
Fiber 1.7 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 4-1/2 meat
- 1 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register