- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 pound boneless turkey breast
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Heat a 2-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add butter and melt, then add garam masala (or spice substitute*)
- Cook for 1 or 2 minutes until spices become fragrant.
- Add the diced onion and sauté until soft and golden.
- Cut turkey breast into 1" cubes. Add the turkey, raisins and apple to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rice and stir.
- Add the chicken stock, bring to boil and cover.
- Cook on medium-low heat until rice has absorbed all of the liquid, about 20 minutes.
- Add the peas during the last few minutes to heat through, then toss and serve.
- Compliment this dish with a cucumber salad (sliced cucumbers, thin sliced onion, white vinegar, black pepper and sugar or sweetener).
- Spice substitute for garam masala: Combine 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon coriander and 1/4 teaspoon cloves.
- If you have diabetes you may need to reduce the rice portion if carbohydrate content is too high.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 25 g
Carbohydrates 62 g
Fat 16 g
Cholesterol 105 mg
Sodium 346 mg
Potassium 512 mg
Phosphorus 262 mg
Calcium 54 mg
Fiber 3.4 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 4 starch
Submitted by: Recipe created by DaVita patient Mr. P and submitted by DaVita dietitian Maryann from Virginia.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register