My Favorite Sweet and Sour Chicken
one piece of chicken plus 1/2-cup rice
- 2 chicken leg quarters
- 2 chicken breasts, bone -in
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 ounces frozen lemonade concentrate
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- Put chicken pieces in a Crock-Pot® and sprinkle with the salt and garlic powder.
- In a small bowl, combine lemonade concentrate, brown sugar, ketchup and vinegar. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4-1/2 hours.
- Add bell pepper slices and diced onion. Cover and continue cooking on low for 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours longer. Remove chicken and vegetables to a serving dish; cover and keep warm. Pour juices from Crock-Pot into a saucepan. Combine cornstarch with cold water; stir into juices. Cook, stirring over medium heat, until thick and bubbly.
- Serve sauce over chicken, along with white rice.
- Try this recipe with chicken drumbsticks and thighs if you are on a lower protein diet and require a smaller portion of chicken.
- This is a high carbohdrate meal and is not recommended for people with diabetes who require a lower carbohydrate meal.
Submitted by: Recipe modified from SouthernFood.About.com and submitted by DaVita renal dietitian Angie from Indiana.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 40 g
Carbohydrates 73 g
Fat 16 g
Cholesterol 116 mg
Sodium 441 mg
Potassium 427 mg
Phosphorus 271 mg
Calcium 38 mg
Fiber 1.2 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 4 meat
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
- 2 starch
- 2 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register