Myrna's Scalloped Chicken
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup unsalted margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup canned mushrooms, rinsed and drained
- 14 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 slices white bread, cubed
- 3 teaspoons sherry wine
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place chicken breasts in a pan and cover with water. Simmer for 10 minutes until done. Reserve 1/2 cup of the broth.
- Spray a 9" x 13" baking pan with cooking spray. Shred cooked chicken into bite- sized pieces and put in bottom of baking pan.
- Sauté onion and celery in 1/3 cup margarine. Lift onion and celery out with a slotted spoon and sprinkle over the chicken. Save margarine for the sauce.
- To make the sauce, add flour to the margarine and stir. Mix in salt, sage, poultry seasoning, and pepper. Add the chicken broth and the 1/2 cup reserved broth to the mixture. Stir and cook until slightly thickened.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms over chicken, celery and onion mixture. Place cubed bread evenly over chicken mixture. Pour sauce over the bread cubes. Dribble 3 teaspoons sherry wine over the top. Bake for 35 minutes until browned.
- Divide into 6 portions and serve.
- Casserole can be assembled, covered, and refrigerated until time to cook. Reheat leftovers in microwave oven; place under broiler for 2 to 3 minutes to crisp the dressing.
Submitted by: Recipes from Cooking for David: A Culinary Dialysis Cookbook written by Sara Colman RD, CDE and Dorothy Gordon BS, RN and submitted by DaVita dietitian Sara from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 21 g
Carbohydrates 18 g
Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 51 mg
Sodium 367 mg
Potassium 240 mg
Phosphorus 146 mg
Calcium 47 mg
Fiber 1.4 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 starch
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register