- CKD non-dialysis
- 2-1/2 pounds frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1-1/4 cups canned tomato puree
- 2 medium sweet onions
- 3 medium carrots
- 3 bell peppers
- 1 hot pepper
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Thaw chicken. In a large Crock-Pot® combine the tomato puree and chicken.
- Puree all other ingredients in food processor (this will have to be done in batches in most food processors).
- Add vegetables to Crock-Pot and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken to a plate. Using 2 forks, shred chicken then return to sauce in the Crock-Pot®.
- When done the chicken should pull apart with a pair of tongs or a fork.
- Select the type of hot pepper based on heat desired.
- Serve shredded chicken over rice or on buns.
- For a lower protein diet decrease portion to 1/2 cup and count as 2 meat choices.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Amie from Michigan.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 27 g
Carbohydrates 6 g
Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 70 mg
Sodium 127 mg
Potassium 505 mg
Phosphorus 222 mg
Calcium 43 mg
Fiber 2.2 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 4 meat
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register