Ranch Chicken Pasta
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 16 ounces penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose white flour
- 1 cup unenriched rice milk
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt-free lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, cubed
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Cook pasta as directed on package, omitting salt; drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt butter. Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add rice milk and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat and fold in sour cream until well mixed.
- Add chicken and pasta. Cook and stir until heated through.
- Remove from heat. Stir in Mexican cheese blend until melted. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve.
- Freeze leftovers in individual portions for a quick meal later.
- Chicken may be increased to make a higher protein dish.
- Add 2 cups cooked broccoli or carrots in step 6 to make a one dish meal.
- The cheese in this recipe contributes 1-1/2 tablespoons per serving and 56 mg phosphorus which is acceptable for a kidney diet. For a lower phosphorus version you can omit the cheeses.
- Ask your dietitian to recommend the rice milk or nondairy creamer brand lowest in phosphorus and potassium.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Jackie from Virginia.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 16 g
Carbohydrates 23 g
Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 49 mg
Sodium 150 mg
Potassium 184 mg
Phosphorus 204 mg
Calcium 136 mg
Fiber 0.9 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1-1/2 starch
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register