Sour Cream and Onion Turkey Burgers
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/4 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons chives
- 1 pound ground turkey 7% fat
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 cracked wheat hamburger buns
- Dice the onion and chives.
- Combine the onion, turkey, egg, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and pepper. Mix well and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Form turkey mixture into 4 patties and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Grill the turkey patties over medium heat, until well cooked, about 5 to 6 minutes per side. Burgers are done when a meat thermometer registers 165˚ F.
- Place each burger on the bottom part of the bun, top with 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1/2 tablespoon chives. Place the other half of bun on top and serve.
- Top burgers with grilled onions for more onion flavor.
- Look for hamburger buns that do not have phosphorus additives.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to ground turkey mixture to make burgers juicier if fat content is not a concern.
- If you are on a lower protein diet make 8 patties instead of 4. Wrap and freeze extra burgers for a quick meal later. Protein is reduced to 18 grams per serving with the bun.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Amie from Minnesota.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 29 g
Carbohydrates 25 g
Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 132 mg
Sodium 327 mg
Potassium 444 mg
Phosphorus 324 mg
Calcium 95 mg
Fiber 2.0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 2 starch
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register