Super Tender Chicken
2 ounces chicken, 1/6th sauce
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium red apples
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose white flour
- 1 -1/2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- Mince garlic and thinly slice onion and apples (skin on).
- Mix flour and all of the spices in a gallon size zip lock bag. Coat chicken breast with the mixture by shaking all ingredients in the locked bag.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and brown on both sides.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet. Add onions and garlic. Cook and stir 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add apples. Cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Stir in apple juice, brown sugar and the cooked chicken, bringing to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until desired tenderness.
- Another name Janis created for this recipe is “You don’t need teeth to eat this chicken.”
- If desired, cut chicken breast into pieces before browning in step #3.
- Use any variety of apple desired.
- Divide into 4 servings to increase protein to 27 grams if you need more protein in your diet.
Submitted by: Recipe created by neighbor Vona and submitted by DaVita dietitian Janis from Florida.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 18 g
Carbohydrates 14 g
Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 47 mg
Sodium 222 mg
Potassium 270 mg
Phosphorus 143 mg
Calcium 31 mg
Fiber 2.0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 fruit. low potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register